Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

THE HUMANITY: Towards A Constitutional Rebirth

This is a very big theme, and will be the subject of several future posts.  It is not a new theme to me; I've been writing about it for about twenty years now.  I have never been alone in that.  Some of the excellent company I've been proud to be a small part of includes Walter Williams.


Hopefully, our nation's constitutional reawaking will begin to deliver us from the precipice. There is no constitutional authority for two-thirds to three-quarters of what Congress does. Our constitution's father, James Madison, explained, "The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined ... (to be) exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce."

In law school, I learned of a constitutional revolution that was conducted and won without a shot by FDR and his collectivist minions.  In the space of one year, Commerce Clause jurisprudence was completely reversed.  Mark Levin notes the same sorry incident in his book, Liberty & Tyranny.  The Supreme Court broke with all precedent, and vastly expanded the meaning of the Commerce Clause beyond any recognition of its plain meaning, or previous legal understanding, leading inexorably to the immense danger we today face from our central government.

Now, there are very serious legal scholars who are writing that the Commerce Clause can be stretched to compel you and I to purchase what we would not choose to purchase, at penalty of criminal law.

That, to me, is obscene.  That, to me, is tyranny.  That, to me, is intolerable, and must be resisted. 


There is a coming day of battle.  I speak of a battle of ideas and ideals.  It will be fought to determine if this nation, chartered as a place of liberty UNDER LAW, can or will be reborn, wresting it from people who have perverted its design.  

Will Americans turn toward their Constitution, restoring it carefully as the beating heart of this nation?  Or will they allow it to simply die as the fundamental compact under which free people live?  I know where I stand on that question, and what I will do and give in the struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment